I am so excited (and nervous, but nervous excited...) to announce PITH + VIGOR's first educational offering. In just about 3 weeks, (Feb 1, 2018) I am kicking off a two-week course to teach you the basics of garden design. Participants will learn how to create a master plan and concept for their own garden.
Do you look out your windows and wish for something more magical and more inviting? Do you want to spend more time outside eating, drinking and relaxing in your own personal haven? Do you have no idea where to start when creating this? If you answered yes, well, then this course is for you.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN IN THIS CLASS?
Week 1 - Understanding the site and creating a base plan
- Assess your property and project like a professional landscape designer.
- Brainstorm and identify all the needs of your new garden.
- How to measure, survey and take inventory of the existing garden and then draw it so that you can begin making a new plan.
- Testing your soil and understanding other environmental conditions that will be important to the design
- Learn how to photograph your garden to help you envision the new garden.
- Create a base plan of your garden.
Week 2 - Diving into design.
- How to unify your house and garden
- Explore exercises to inspire creativity in your design.
- Identify and define your own garden design style
- Introduction to a variety of design principles and how they apply to gardens (mass and void, scale, proportion, storytelling, light, color, and more).
- Draw up a concept for your garden.
At the end of the course you will have a strong understanding of your own garden, its limitations (and how to deal with them) and its possibilities as well as a conceptual vision for the new design and the ability to draw up your own master plan.
HOW LONG IS THE CLASS?
This is how it works. Class starts Thursday February 1st, 2018 and will run for 2 full weeks (and 2 days) and will end on February 16th, 2018. After Feb 16th, instruction will be completed, but students will have access to all the content presented until March 30th, 2018. During that time students can review any material on the class site and all lessons can be downloaded for your personal use and forever reference.
WHAT WILL BE TAUGHT?
You will learn the principles of garden site assessment, surveying, planning and design so that you can begin designing your own garden. We will explore ways to inspire our creativity and learn how to create an outdoor space that is comfortable, beautiful, healthy, appropriate your region, and uniquely an expression of your style.
DO I NEED ANY MATERIALS?
Yes, You will need:
- A camera (a phone camera is perfect)
- Tracing paper
- Drawing paper
- Grid Lined Paper
- A straight edge (ruler or drawing straight edge)
- Circle Templates (these can be household items)
- pencils, pens, and colored pencils
(Once you register, a materials list will be sent to you via email with links to some of my favorite sources. All materials will cost less than $50 - assuming you have a camera/phone - and I suspect most of of it you probably already have. I expect that most people will just need to buy some trace, grid and drawing paper to work with.)
HOW ARE CLASSES TAUGHT?
This class will be taught with a mix of video, screencasts, audio recordings and written lessons that will be posted on Monday, Wednesday and Friday each week. You can view them whenever you wish, during the class and until March 30th, 2018, day or night. All materials can be downloaded and saved. There will also be live chats sessions with students so questions can be asked in real time.
I'm looking forward to meeting you in class!