Even though my summer seemed over full with adventures, my wanderlust-ing itch is rarely scratched for long. So it goes with Oedo (pronounced way-do) Island off the coast of South Korea. Doesn’t this garden look like an amazing place? I am even more intrigued by the fact that there isn’t all that much information online (in English) about this place.
Have you been there? This is what I know about it:
1) it is an island (I have a magnetic attraction to islands)
2) it was created by a fisherman and his wife (over 30 years in the making, it was previously a barren rocky place)
3) it is the home of over 3000 species of plants
4) you have to take a boat to get to it (love that!)
5) it is supposedly the first island to be owned by private individuals in South Korea and it is has been open to the public since 1995.
6) it is something like Versailles but with a Korean twist and placed in the East China Sea. – I simply could not ask for anything more.
I found a little bit of information about travelling there here. And I was introduced to this place when I happened across Steve’s amazing collection of images here. If you want to see more (and trust me, you do) — jump over there.
images by steve
BACK ISSUES of P+V Newspaper Are Available in the FREE Resource Library
Get A Prettier, More Organized Garden in 10 Days
JOIN THE GARDEN DESIGN CHALLENGE
Get your garden in shape so you can enjoy some peaceful & nourishing time in your own piece of the great outdoors.